Wednesday, December 5, 2007

November trip to the Peruvian Amazon




Rosa, one of the kennel attendants at the hospital where I work, is Peruvian, so she was thrilled to learn that I would be spending 7 days in Peru floating down the Amazon in a river boat. Thanks to both International Expeditions and Jungle Expeditions, I had an amazing trip. The landscape of Peru is ever-changing, especially given that 80% of the world's ecosystems can be found in Peru. I had expected to be absorbed in our daily wildlife sightings, but found myself most mesmerized by the river, itself. Of course, the pisco sours weren't bad either.....

Here's a brief photo collage of my journey.....


Two kids from the jungle showing a curiosity for the camera.













Robinson, one of our naturalist guides and native of Iquitos, catches and releases a young caiman.