Friday, January 18, 2008

Columbus and Syphilis

I'm a big fan of travel and seeing the world. Unfortunately, I've developed a new sense of guilt whenever I hop on a plane knowing that I'm contributing to the growing problem of air pollution and global warming. Fortunately, my bank account has shrunk over the past few months, thus, helping me reduce my global footprint. My world travel is now limited to urban hiking around San Francisco, which by the way, can be a cultural adventure in its own right. Take Joe, for example, the Chinese exercise guru, who I pass by several times a week on my run through the Presidio. More on him later.

On a related topic, there's been a lot of discussion recently about the link between globalization, (travel more specifically), and disease spread, so I found the following article a particular curiosity.....or maybe I'm just tapping into my love of scandel and gossip magazines.

Read Columbus Article